Monday, December 12, 2011

Critiques and Workshops

Tonight is my last workshop class. Over the course of this semester I have learned a lot. Though, most importantly it really inspired me to write. It continues to inspire me. The general (I use that term very loosely) is that everyone likes my initial premise of my WIP. I wish I could form some super-group of people who are passionate about YA lit and sci-fi themed books to help me along my journey. I think I really need to get more involved online with the writers communities. But, it's not like I have a full manuscript or anything yet. It will come.


Anyway, after my last group critique of another new 3,000 words a woman gave me her written critique late. She handed the critique to me and I read it on out class break. And guess what? It ripped me to shreds. Within two pages she told me I shouldn;t continue on, nothing makes sense, and my characters are horrible, stale, an one dimensional. Okay, I'm paraphrasing here and this is mostly subtext. But I was shocked! It didn't help that I had been in class with this woman for 13 weeks.

Listen, I KNOW not everyone will like my story. I'm actually more surprised that I don't get terrible critiques. I really write a story that I personally would love to read, and the characters are scratching at my insides to be heard. It is a deeply personal experience, the whole writing and crafting a story. I might as well dip a quill into my vein and write in blood.  So, how can I not be bothered by her overt expression of disapproval? I am going to a be a dissenter here, when everyone else says don;t take it personally, I say it's OKAY to lick your wounds. Be sulky for a day about it. That's what I did. No regrets.

Then I found humor in it. I let my close friends read it. I put it all into perspective. I got over it. I put it into my fire of inspiration, and there it burns.


P.S.- This lady literally said she wouldn't recognize my characters if they walked into a coffee shop.  My characters are filthy smart-ass kids in a post-apocalyptic world I think you'd pay attention to them if they walked into your local Starbucks. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...